Proof of language skills
Applicant applying with a non-EU/EEA-country qualification and who is not a citizen of an EU/EEA country
In order to prove your English language skills, you must fulfil one of the following minimum requirements and provide proof of it:
• IELTS score academic level 6.0 (www.ielts.org) or
• TOEFL score 550 paper-based test/ 79-80 internet-based test (www.ets.org/toefl) or
• Skills level 4 in English in all parts (English communicative oral skills, reading comprehension and writing) in the National Certificate of Language Proficiency (www.oph.fi => mobility => testing language skills)
• Cambridge ESOL’s (www.cambridgeesol.org)
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or Certificate in
Advanced English (CAE) level C
• Pearson test of English (www.pearsonpte.com)
- General test level 4 and Academic 51
Both TOEFL and IELTS test results are valid for two years. The National Certificate of Language Proficiency does not have a set date of validity. TOEFL score results are only accepted directly from the Educational Testing Service. Karelia UAS’ TOEFL code is 6209. Please use this code number when indicating Karelia UAS as a score recipient.
In addition, upper secondary level school education in English completed in Great Britain, Ireland, the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand or Bachelor’s or Master’s degree completed in English in one of these countries is also accepted as a demonstration of sufficient English language skills. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in English in an EU/EEA -country is also accepted as a demonstration of sufficient English language skills.
The certificate copies must be delivered to the Admissions Office of your first choice UAS by 22 February 2013 at 4.15 p.m. Finnish time (+2hrs GMT). Send copies by post; scanned or faxed copies will not be accepted. Certificate copies delivered after the deadline will not be accepted.
All applicants who have demonstrated their eligibility and language skills will be invited to the entrance examinations. You can be exempted from the language test in the entrance examination if you provide a certificate of your language skills to your first preference UAS by 22 February 2013. The certificates proving the minimum English language skill requirements are listed in the Proof of language skills -section. However, please note that in some entrance examinations, the applicant must take part in a compulsory language test.