Questions and feedback
We will respond to all the feedback given with contact information in person. It is also possible to give us feedback anonymously. Feedback will be treated confidentially. Answers to frequently asked questions and feedback will be published in this column (without sender information).
Use feedback form or email library(at)karelia.fi, to send us feedback or questions.
What is the self-service library?
The self-service library is open from Mon to Fri 7 — 20, even when the customer service is closed and there is no library staff present at the library. You can use self-service to borrow and loan books. You must have a library card to borrow library materials. Cameras are monitoring the library.
During the self-service hours, you can:
- borrow and return material
- pick up reservations
- use the computers
- read books, magazines and newspapers
- work at the library.
Make sure that you have a library card and your borrowing rights are ok, if you want to borrow books etc. from library’s collections during self-service hours.
Notice: Library’s doors are open Mon — Fri 7 — 20, but building E’s main door closes on Mon — Thu at 18 and on Fri at 17. During holidays check the campus door opening hours from the janitor. After opening hours you must have a pass to enter the building. The pass costs 30 euro and you can purchase it from Tikkarinne Campus’ janitor. Only Karelia UAS students can have the pass. You have to prove yourself to be a Karelia UAS student (for example with a valid student card).
What does Finna mean?
Library collections can be found on Karelia-Finna. At Karelia-Finna, you have access to library’s databases, ebooks, ejournals, dictionaries etc. and you find information on library’s printed books and periodicals. You can also make a reservation of library materials on loan and renew your loans. To find the collections of other Finnish libraries, archives and museums, go to finna.fi.
Link your Karelia-Finna and library accounts
If you have registered as a library customer after 1/2020:
- Login to Karelia Finna with Haka login and click My account > Library cards > Connect library card…
- Link your library account by using your email (must be equal with email address in the library’s customer register).
- In your email, you will receive a link > click it and library’s information will linked to Finna.
If you have registered as a library customer before 1/2020:
- Login to Karelia Finna with Haka login.
- Go to My account > Profile > Delete my account. Click it and you will be automatically logged out from Karelia Finna.
- Login again to Karelia Finna > click Library cards (if your browser is not going there automatically).
- Feed your email address to Email field (must be equal with email address in the library’s customer register).
- In your email, you will receive a link > click it and library’s information will connect to Finna.
- Notice that you have to click the link on the same browser and device where Karelia-Finna is open (not like Finna is open on laptop and email is open on mobile phone).
- Check that the email address you’re using equals with the email in the library’s customer register.
- Didn’t receive the confirmation link? Check your junk mail.
- Please try another device or browser.
Can I return books when the library is closed?
You can use library’s automated book return machine even when the library is closed. It is located on the right from Tikkarinne Campus’ main entrance, along the downhill walkway (map).
Why can’t I renew my loans?
It is not possible to renew your loans, if the items have been requested by another customer or if you have fees 10 € or more.
You can renew your loans max. 365 days after the loan date.
If renewal fails repeatedly, you might want to clear your browser cookies, browsing history, etc., and then try again.
How do I make a request?
You can make requests at Karelia-Finna or at the library. Requesting books which are on loan are free of charge. If any copies of the title are available at the library, the request fee is 1 euro (pick up from shelf). Available notices are sent by email. After receiving the notice, you can pick up your requests from the self-service shelf nearby the customer service. If you do not want to use the self-service pick up for some reason, please inform the library staff.
The fee for an uncollected/not-cancelled request is 1 euro per request.
You can cancel your request at Karelia-Finna, if the item is not ready for pick up and you have not received a notice yet. If the item is ready for pick up, contact the customer service, to cancel your request.
Can I pay my overdue fees online?
You can pay your overdue fees online by logging into your own customer information at Karelia-Finna. For unclear payment matters, please contact the library prior to payment.
Is there a colour printer or scanner in the library?
There is a multifunction printer on the library’s second floor (beside computer lab), which you can use as a colour printer, a scanner and a copying machine. Printing and copying are free, take your own papers with you. Printing is possible only for Karelia students and staff.