Academic year 2021-2022:
autumn semester or full academic year
1) Partner universities nominate students for exchange by 15th April 2021. Link to the online nomination system was in Karelia’s international newsletter for partners (9th March 2021) and can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Karelia International Office sends instructions for next steps and the link to the online application to the nominated students by email.
3) Students: submit your online application (Karelia Exchange system) and upload the required documents in the system by 30th April 2021.
4) After submitting your application you will get a PIN code by email. This enables you to edit your application and add attachments to it during the application period (and during the exchange), if necessary.
Please note that some email programmes may move this kind of automatically generated emails to the junk mail. If you have lost your login details to our application system, please contact mobility(at)karelia.fi.
Documents you need to attach to your online application
- Transcript of Records in English (=courses completed so far)
- Copy of ID or Passport
- EU curriculum vitae
- Learning agreement (please check the detailed information below; your application cannot be processed without the learning agreement)
- (Motivation Letter. Needed only if you apply for a project or placement supervised by Karelia UAS).
Erasmus+ students from European countries:
Please use the online learning agreement (OLA), if possible! Your home university will guide you with the first steps. Complete the OLA during April. Once the OLA is signed by all parties (May-June), upload the PDF version of it to Karelia Exchange application system.
Tips for OLA:
– Karelia UAS in Finnish is Karelia Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy.
– The receiving responsible (signing) person is the departmental coordinator of your study field. (click)
– The receiving administrative person is Katriina Korhonen, Erasmus+ coordinator, email: email@example.com.
If your home university is not yet using OLA, please upload your Erasmus+ learning agreement for studies (signed by you and your home coordinator) as an attachment to your application in Karelia Exchange application system.
Other exchange students, please use the template here: Learning agreement.
Fill in the information on the Karelia courses you wish to select. Sign your learning / training agreement and ask your home university’s international coordinator to sign it. Upload the document to the Karelia Exchange application system by 30 April 2021.
Studies at Karelia University of Applied Sciences
Familiarize yourself with the list of courses offered for the exchange students. If you need further information e.g. on the suitability of the courses for you or possibilities of projects and practical placements, please contact the departmental coordinators.
Semester dates 2021-2022 for exchange students
- Autumn semester: 19 August 2021 – 18 December 2021
- Spring semester: 5 January 2022 – 29 May 2022
Timetable and important information
- May to mid-June 2021:
Applications are processed at Karelia UAS
- June 2021:
Letter of acceptance and practical information is sent to the new exchange students, learning agreement is signed.
You will be invited to the Facebook group for Karelia’s exchange students.
- May-June 2021:
Apply for the accommodation from Student Housing Company Joensuun Elli as soon as you have received information of acceptance.
Apply for visa /residence permit (if applicable) as soon as you have received the letter of acceptance. Please see the instructions on Finnish Immigration Service website.
- August 2021
- Students should arrive in Joensuu in mid-August (detailed instructions will be confirmed later) and be prepared for self-isolation/quarantine if requested by the Finnish authorities.
- Studies begin with Orientation days on 19th August (to be confirmed). Depending on the situation with COVID-19, the orientation programme and the first weeks of study may be implemented at least partly online. The incoming students will be informed about the arrangements and/or any changes in due course.
-> Link to the main page for exchange students.