You can apply to us by filling in an application online at www.studyinfo.fi. There are application periods to Karelia UAS several times in a year. The joint application to degree programmes conducted in English in universities in Finland is organized in January. Karelia UAS also organizes separate applications frequently. You find the application deadlines and all necessary information concerning applications on this page.
Joint Application to Higher Education on 7 — 20 January 2021
Karelia UAS offers two Degree Programmes in English in 2021:
International Business — Degree obtained: Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Tradenomi (AMK)
Industrial Management — Degree obtained: Bachelor of Engineering (Industrial Management), Insinööri (AMK)
Admission process of joint admission — spring 2021
Timetable for joint admission
- Submit the application during the application period, by 20 January 2021 at 3 p.m. Finnish time. You can choose 6 study programmes to your application form. There is no order of preference in the application form.
- Upload the copies of graduation certificates and official translations in Finnish/English/Swedish to your application form by 27 January 2021 at 3 p.m. Finnish time.
- Certificate-based student selection: results in February 2021
- SAT test student selection: Sat test results to be delivered by 10 February 2021. Results are published in February 2021
- Entrance examinations in spring 2021:
- Online entrance examinations in February
- International Business on 2 February 2021
- Industrial Management in February 2021 (excact date will be informed later)
- Finnips entrance examinations in February — March (to be specified)
- Industrial Management 8 April 2021 in Joensuu, Finland
- International Business 9 April 2021 in Joensuu, Finland
- Online entrance examinations in February
- Results of student selection will be published by 4 June 2021
- Admitted students must accept the study place by 16 July 2021
- Studies begin in August/September 2021
General information about the joint application to higher education.
Eligibility: who can apply?
You can apply in the joint application to higher education if you have completed:
- the Finnish general upper secondary school syllabus and/or the matriculation examination;
- an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma; a European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma; Reifeprüfung (RP) Diploma;
- a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification with a scope of 120 credit units or 180 credit points, or a comparable previous Finnish vocational qualification with a minimum scope of 80 credit units;
- a Finnish post-secondary or higher vocational level diploma;
- a Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification or a further or specialist vocational qualification as a competence-based qualification, or a comparable previous qualification; or
- foreign qualification that provides eligibility for higher education studies in the country in question.
- bachelor’s or master’s degree. Applicants completing their qualifications during the spring/summer 2021 are also eligible (see deadlines here — to be updated in November 2020).
Read more about the student selection process and eligibility criteria
If you are in a refugee or in a refugee-like situation and unable to submit documentary evidence of your qualification, Karelia UAS may invite you to sit an entrance examination. You must have an official decision attesting to your refugee status (a decision on asylum or a residence permit granted on the basis of a need for protection). Read more about the required certificates (to be updated in November 2020).
Am I required to pay tuition fees?
At Karelia UAS the tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students is 5 500 euros for a study year. The fee for the degree of Bachelor of Business Administration completed in 3.5‑years is 19 250 euros and for Bachelor of Engineering completed in 4 years 22 000 euros. There are some exemptions from tuition fees, for instance to students with long-term EU residence permit in Finland. Read more
Application to Karelia UAS on Studyinfo.fi is free of charge. In order to be accepted as a student, you do not necessarily need to use agents but you can also apply independently by using the online information available on our websites.
To make up your mind about which degree programmes to apply to you can check which degree programmes in Finnish universities of applied sciences accept each other’s exam results.
After submitting the application you will receive a confirmation email from Studyinfo that the application form has been received. In the email you find information about the required certificates. Upload them to the application form by 27 January 2021 at 3 p.m. Finnish time. The applicants need not submit evidence of language proficiency. See deadlines for submitting certificates
Student selection methods in Joint Admission for Higher education, Spring 2020
- Online entrance examination
- Entrance examination in Finland and
- FINNIPS online entrance examinations
- SAT test
- Certificate-based selection.
Read more about the entrance examinations. If you need special arrangements for the entrance examination, fill in the Application form for special arrangements and send it to Karelia’s Admissions Services by 27 January 2021.
Check your email regularly, also the junk mail folder!
Online entrance examinations in February
International Business on 2 February 2021
Industrial Management in February 2021 (excact date will be informed later)
Entrance examination in Finland
Karelia University of Applied Sciences’ degree programmes participate in national entrance examination co-operation. Entrance examination dates are:
Degree Programme in Industrial Management on 8 April 2021. See further information about the content of the entrance examination.
Degree Programme in International Business on 9 April 2021. See further information about the content of the entrance examination.
FINNIPS Online Entrance examinations
Karelia University of Applied Sciences is a member of the FINNIPS network.It arranges entrance examination online in February — March 2021. Further information will be provided by the end of November.
Appicants must apply during the application period at www.studyinfo.fi. Applicants do not need to participate in the entrance examination, student selection is made by the SAT test results only. Karelia University of Applied Sciences’ Designated Institutional code is 7782 — Use this code when you want your test scores to be sent to Karelia UAS.
Only the new version of SAT test (completed after March 2016) is accepted. SAT Subject Tests are not accepted. An official SAT score report must be ordered straight from the test organiser. Those, who have already completed an SAT test, must request a test result from the test organiser to be delivered to universities of applied sciences. The results of the SAT test must be delivered to all those universities of applied sciences that use the admission criteria in question by 10 February 2021. Reports printed or sent by the applicants themselves are not accepted.
Karelia UAS uses following sections, Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math, in the student selection process. An applicant applying with a SAT test result must have completed both sections with a minimum score of 500.
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing minimum 500 points
- Reading Test
- Writing and Language Test
- Math minimun 500 points
The lowest accepted SAT test result is 1000 points. Applicants are accepted in order of best points.
Further information about SAT test and SAT test dates on College Board’s website.
Karelia UAS’ uses certificate-based student selection with following degrees:
1. Finnish Matriculation Examination
2. Internationall Baccalaureate Degrees (International Baccalaureate IB, European Baccalaureate EB, Reifeprüfung- (RP) / Deutsche Internationale Abitur (DIA) degree)
3. Finnish Vocational Upper Secondary degree (completed after 1 August 2015)
Detailed information about scoring models are presented for each degree. If you have completed some other international baccalaureate degree than mentioned above, the student selection method will be either entrance examination or SAT test result.
The results of the admission are announced by 4 June 2021 at the latest on My Studyinfo.fi and by email from Studyinfo. You will be offered a study place highest on your order of preference list and to which you have enough points to be accepted. Students on a waiting list will be accepted as study places are released until 2 August 2021. Study place is released for example when an accepted student gets accepted to a study programme higher on his/hers order of preference list or the student decides not to accept the offered study place. Read more
Please see further information about the appeals.
Accepting the study place, Registeration, Submitting the educational certificates
Accepting the study place
Accept the study place by 16 July 2021 by 3:00 p.m. Finnish time electronically at My Studyinfo.fi. If you are granted admission from reserve list, follow the deadlines shown on My Studyinfo.fi service. You can only accept one study place per term. See the instructions on how to accept a study place.
Acceptance of a study place can be binding or conditional. You cannot change the confirmation you have made afterwards. You can confirm the study place either electronically with the link that is sent to your email from Studyinfo.fi or in the My Studyinfo ‑service. Applicants who accept a study place will not be considered as first-time applicants in future admissions to higher education.
Registration and submitting certificates
After you have accepted the study place, you need to register as a student for the academic year 2021–2022. The deadline is the same as for the acceptance of the study place. Read more
Upload the copies of required educational certificates to the application form by 16 July 2021. If you fail to hand in the copies by the given deadline your study place will be revoked. See deadlines for submitting certificates
In case of questions, please contact Admission Services.
New Student’s Guide, Starting your studies
New Student’s Guide
On this Guide, you find important information about starting the studies, housing, academic year, schedules etc.
Starting your studies
The studies start in August/September 2021 (Wärtsilä Campus, Karjalankatu 3, 80200 Joensuu) with an orientation to studies, get-together events to meet students and staff, an individual interview with a counsellor and with a tutoring teacher.
Original school certificates used as a basis for applying will be verified during the two first weeks of studies in August. Therefore, you need take your original certificates with you at your first day at university. Students enrolling absent, need to verify their original certificates at the beginning their studies. The student admission is conditional until the copies of the certificates and the original certificates have been verified.